Author Topic: Eastern Sierra Trout Opener  (Read 551 times)

Offline ColdSteel

Eastern Sierra Trout Opener
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:25:46 PM »
Hey,  Anyone heading to the opener this year?  Tips?  Stories?  Crowley Madness?

(~)/

Offline Captain Compassion

• Executive Member
Re: Eastern Sierra Trout Opener
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
This is one of the few years in the last 55 when I will not be at the Sierra opener. I started out at the North Shore at Crowley with my grandfather and a neighbor. Always a state of war. Then I would open at Convict or the Owens. Then I moved on to the June Lake Loop with guys that were more interested in booze and poker than trout. For the last 7 years I've opened on the Carson. This year I'll be at Pyramid Fest. I do suspect I'll be up on the Carson on the Monday after the opener. I always liked batting clean up. ;D

CC
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Online Jetspray

• Jetboats Rock
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:15:35 PM »
Hey,  Anyone heading to the opener this year?  Tips?  Stories?  Crowley Madness?

(~)/

Just use a white tube, not translucent but white, about 2 inches long for LCT's and triploids. Switch to a Berkley Atomic grasshopper jig or a cricket jig if nothing else works. Remember they hit stuff they have been eating just before they fell off the stocking truck........Jetspray
2003 Alumiweld Stryker 19'6", 225hp Vortec V-6, SD-309 Amreican Turbine, Yamaha T-8 HT (panther remote control), two Cannon Mag 10 DR's, lots of toys to play and pay for

Offline atavuss

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
When is opening weekend? 

Offline Captain Compassion

• Executive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 12:41:31 PM »
Opening day is 4/26. Even though I will be a Pyramid I will do a scout on the Carson before I go. As of now there are good flows on both the East and West forks of the Carson. The CDFW has all ready made one stocking on the rivers last week. There is another stock scheduled for this week. Alpine should also stock some fish to 6# in the next couple of weeks. The W. Walker has good size fished left over from a stock in late February. More to come.

CC

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Offline Mr Ed

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:03:13 PM »
Good luck to you guys on the opener..........
I will try for a few non-cut and non-bow's the first couple of weeks of the season.

Hard to fly fish with a bunch of "Yay-Ho's" around you any way..............

Just hope the water holds out this year..............

good luck to all.